Thursday, August 1, 2013

I'm teaching what?

Gotta love August! I just got a call from my Assistant Principal and guess what - my schedule changed. Now I am teaching both DP (Diploma Years) senior, but AP Lit Seniors as well!

So as my head is spinning, I am so thankful that I have flipped my classroom. There are so many things that I will need to offload for my students in order to have the time in the classroom to practice writing (both timed and not) as well as testing. I am thinking about flipping all literary terms and grouping them so that we apply each to a certain part of the syllabus. I don't know what that will look like, but I am spitballing here. I have to go back to the basic question - what is the best use of my class time for my students?

I am so glad that I use that question to ground me for every class that I teach. I feel that if I did not do that, I would be huddled in a corner crying about being given an upper level class that  I have NEVER taught or been trained in. This one questions allows me to look at ANY class and get a handle on how to help my student's succeed.

That does not mean that I will not be stressed - not in the least. But at least I can create meaningful content both in and out of the classroom with some experience.

No comments: